About This Station

The station has been operational since 31st October 2005. The station is powered by a Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather station. The data is collected every 2.5 seconds and the site is updated constantly. This site and its data is collected using Weather-Display Software. The station is comprised of an anemometer (roof mounted), a rain gauge, thermo-hydro sensor and a solar radiation sensor (garden mounted) situated in optimal positions for highest accuracy possible.

Garden
Roof

About Caerphilly

Caerphilly is situated 8 miles north of Cardiff, in the Rhymney Valley. Caerphilly is a town and community in South Wales, at the southern end of the Rhymney Valley. It is the largest town in Caerphilly County Borough, within the historic borders of Glamorgan, on the border with Monmouthshire.

It is a commuter town for Cardiff and Newport, 7.5 miles (12 km) and 12 miles (19 km) away respectively, and is separated from the Cardiff suburbs of Lisvane and Rhiwbina by Caerphilly mountain. The town is perhaps best known outside of Wales for Caerphilly cheese.

The town's site has long been of strategic significance. Around AD 75 a fort was built by the Romans during their conquest of Britain.[1] An excavation in 1963 showed that the fort was occupied by Roman forces until the middle of the 2nd century.

Caerphilly Castle (shown in the header) was constructed by Gilbert de Clare in the 13th century as part of his campaign to conquer Glamorgan, and saw extensive fighting between Gilbert and his descendants and the native Welsh rulers.

In 1316 Llywelyn Bren, believed to be the son of Gruffyd ap Rhys and therefore great-grandson of Ifor Bach, led an insurrection, laying siege to the castle. The outer ward of the castle was breached but not the inner defences, with the town itself burned. The town was rebuilt but remained very small throughout the Middle Ages. The first evidence of its emerging importance was the construction of a Court House in the 14th century, the only pre-19th century building still remaining in the town.

At the beginning of the 15th century the castle was again attacked, this time by Owain Glyndwr, who took control of the castle around 1403-05. Repairs to the castle continued until at least 1430. In the mid-16th century the 2nd Earl of Pembroke used the castle as a manorial court, but in 1583 the castle was leased to Thomas Lewis, who accelerated the castle's dilapidation by removing stonework to build his nearby manor, The Van. The Lewis family, who claimed descent from Ifor Bach, left the manor in the mid-18th century when they purchased St Fagans Castle.[.

About This Website

This site is a template design by CarterLake.org with PHP conversion by Saratoga-Weather.org.
Special thanks go to Kevin Reed at TNET Weather for his work on the original Carterlake templates, and his design for the common website PHP management.
Special thanks to Mike Challis of Long Beach WA for his wind-rose generator, Theme Switcher and CSS styling help with these templates.
Special thanks go to Ken True of Saratoga-Weather.org for the AJAX conditions display, dashboard and integration of the TNET Weather common PHP site design for this site.

Template is originally based on Designs by Haran.

This template is XHTML 1.0 compliant. Validate the XHTML and CSS of this page.